HELOOO GUYSS!!! Here I am back with an interesting recipie for you guyss!! This particular dish can be made with less efforts and more love for your loved ones.. Pulihora is a typical Andhra style rice preparation similar to lemon rice aka nimmakaya annam. Pulihora recipe is no different from lemon rice recipe (nimmakaya annam). Do add a generous amount of roasted peanuts or peanuts since it adds oodles of flavor. If you have access to curry leaves, do add a couple of sprigs to the tempering. I like to add at least three to four sprigs of curry leaves. It is an essential ingredient so do not avoid it. I would not suggest the use of long grain or basmati rice. Regular normal rice works good. Ensure that the cooked rice is soft yet firm and should not become mushy.
- I always make lemon rice or pulihora a couple of hours before lunch time. Using a mix of green chilies and red chilies lends the right amount of heat which helps balance the tangy flavor of the rice. You can serve with crisps like papad, pickle and thick yogurt (dahi).
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Serves: 5
- Raw Mango
- Raw rice – 250 gms (regular rice like Sona Masuri)
- Raw Mango – 1 (rough mango)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 1/4 tbsps
- Green chilies – 3, slit length wise
- Red chilies – 3-4, tear and de-seed
- Ginger – 1″, finely minced
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Peanuts – 1/3 cup, roasted and peeled
- Cashewnuts – 1/4 cup, roasted (optional)
- Curry leaves – 3 sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tbsps
- Wash the rice and cook in enough water till the rice turns soft yet each grain is separate.Spread the cooked rice on a wide plate. Sprinkle enough salt and a sprig of curry leaves all over the rice and mix into the rice. Set aside and prepare the tempering.
- Peel out the outer skin of the raw mango and grate it.Set aside.
- For the tempering, heat oil in a vessel, Once hot, add the mustard seeds, Add urad dal, chana dal and allow them to turn red. Add the dry red chilies, slit green chilies,Ginger Garlic paste, and and mix well.
- Add two sprigs of curry leaves and turmeric powder and mix well. Turn off heat.
- Add this tempering to the cooked rice and mix well to combine.
- Slowly add the squeezed Raw Mango juice and mix. Do not add all the juice at once. Taste and if it requires more tang, add a few tbsps of juice. Adjust salt if required.
- Remove to a serving bowl and serve with papad, pickle and yogurt.